Notice of Annual Renewal of Alabama Tax Licenses
Beginning November 1, 2020, taxpayers will be required to renew the State of Alabama Tax License annually.
The My Alabama Taxes (MAT) website will provide the ability for the business information to be verified and/or updated in order to generate a new license for the upcoming year. The following tax types will be required to renew the State of Alabama Tax License each year:
- Sales Tax
- Rental Tax
- Sellers Use Tax
- Lodgings Tax
- Utility Gross Receipts Tax
- Simplified Sellers Use Tax
The following information will be required to be reviewed and/or updated:
- Current Legal Name – must be reviewed
- Owner/Officer/Member Information – must be reviewed and/or updated
- Phone number(s) – must be reviewed and/or updated
- Social security numbers/FEIN’s – must be reviewed
- Location address(es) including d/b/a’s for each location – must be reviewed and/or updated
- Main address must be reviewed
- Location address(es) must be reviewed and/or updated
Each year, verification that the business is continuing to operate in the same business entity type for which the existing license was issued will need to be completed. You will need to apply for a new license if the entity type changed (e.g. original entity type of Sole Proprietorship changes to Corporation or Multi-member LLC).
The renewal process will be completed on an annual basis in order to generate a new license for each calendar year. Therefore, if the license is not renewed pursuant to Section 40-23-6.1, Code of Alabama 1975, as amended, the State of Alabama Tax License previously issued to your business will be cancelled and you will no longer be allowed to use the Tax License in order to make tax-exempt purchases for resale or rental purposes.
Please be advised that your Alabama Tax License shall not be renewed until the required information has been provided to the Department.