State & Local Tax
State and local taxes are a part of every business. BMSS recognizes how complicated and overwhelming state and local taxes can be. States and municipalities are facing major budget shortfalls and are continually looking to close the gap through enhancing current tax laws, enforcing existing tax laws and implementing new taxes. A comprehensive state and local tax strategy helps minimize your company’s compliance risk and its tax burden. Our State and Local Tax (SALT) professionals are available to provide you with favorable, accurate and defendable tax solutions. We understand the complexity of state and local tax compliance, from handling large, multi-state businesses to consulting on jurisdictional state and local tax matters.
Sep 07, 2022 Name, Image and Likeness Collides with Taxes
Jun 15, 2022 Alabama to Phase Out Minimum Business Privilege Tax Beginning in 2023
Nov 16, 2021 Your Alabama Tax License Renewal is Due December 31, 2021
How We Serve
- Consult on your expanding or changing business needs
- Advise on state and jurisdictional taxes, including compliance and reporting
- Prepare state business and individual income tax returns
- Analyze specific transactions for tax applicability
- Assist with and/or manage state and local tax audits
Services We Provide
- Unclaimed Property
- Sales Tax
- AD Valorem
- Business Licensing
- Income Tax
Every business is required to pay some form of state and local taxes. We provide our SALT services to clients in manufacturing, nonprofits, construction and many other industries.
In 2014, businesses paid an average of 10.6% of net income in state and local taxes.
Prior to joining our firm, BMSS member Karen Poist, CPA, worked with the IRS and a large multi-state corporation in the Washington D.C. area.
- Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants
- State and Local Tax Committee