“Tell the truth, good manners never go out of style, and treat everyone with respect.”
Stephen joined the Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith team in 2009. He specializes in audit and assurance services including financial statement audits, single audits, reviews and compilation services, as well as outsourced controller and accounting services. Stephen works with clients in a variety of industries, including construction, manufacturing and distribution, nonprofit, technology and venture capital, transportation, and health care.
People describe Stephen as a team member who cares about the people he is working with and for. He also has a humorous side and is down-to-earth. These attributes allow for a much more personable experience. Given the intensive nature of Stephen’s work, being personable is a much-needed skill to help move an otherwise daunting process along. He attributes his success to his parents and education.
Stephen currently lives in Gardendale with his wife, Tonya, and their three daughters. He and his wife met while attending school at the University of Alabama. Stephen and his family love to go on fun family vacations and spend time together. He also enjoys coaching his daughters in youth sports and serves his Church as chairman of the finance council.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (ASCPA)
- Alabama Utility Contractors Association (AUCA)
- 2015 NAPAP Top 10 Public Accounting Professional Rising Stars for Alabama
- University of Alabama
- Master of Accountancy
- Bachelor of Science, Commerce & Business Administration