Don Murphy, CPA, CGMA
Don Murphy and his wife, Sandy, have four children - Madison, Meghan, Mason and Micah. He is in the process of a church plant – Covenant Heritage Presbyterian Church, a mission of Chalcedon Presbyterian Church. Don is a graduate of Auburn University and a member of the Auburn Alumni Association.
Don is a founder of Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith and is the firm's Managing Member. He is responsible for coordinating all aspects of the firm and spearheading its leadership.
He performs auditing and accounting, tax planning, and consulting services for clients primarily in construction, manufacturing, distribution, transportation and entertainment industries and closely-held companies. The Certified Global Management Accountant (CGMA) is a global management accounting designation that recognizes the unique role played by professionals around the world who combine accounting and financial expertise with strategic insight to guide better business decisions. It demonstrates management accounting expertise in such areas as leading strategically with management to make more informed decisions, helping organizations manage change, risk and uncertainty, protecting corporate assets and promoting operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Don serves on the Turning Hearts Ministry Board, as Treasurer for Evangel Christian School, is a member of the AICPA Professional and Personal Liability Insurance Committee and the AlabamaGermany Partnership. He has served on the Small Business Consulting Committee of ASCPA, the Taxation and Finance Committee for the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce and the Advisory Board for Construction Business Owner Magazine.
Don was named "CEO of the Year" in 2011 and has been awarded "Who's Who in Law and Accounting", "Who's Who in Construction" (one of only 5 accountants) and named to the "Power Book" and "Most Influential List" by the Birmingham Business Journal.
In his own words...
- Why did you choose public accounting for your career?
- I was looking for a profession in which I could be an owner or a profession that would prepare me to be an owner. I could see how it would help me to be an entrepreneur.
- What do you enjoy most about being a trusted advisor to clients?
- Helping people and the relationships I have developed. My clients are some of my best friends.
- Why did you choose to start BMSS?
- I had an opportunity to do something with Keith and John, two great guys I had known for years. We wanted to do something different and find a better way to build a firm and provide accounting services. We were young and hopeful but had strong ideas and now we have been blessed more than my wildest dreams. I meet with great leaders from firms across the country and am always reminded we something special here at BMSS. And for that I am always thankful.